For the Muffins
- 2 large lemons (yielding ¼ cup zest and ⅓ cup juice)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup thick plain Greek yogurt (I did not use low fat)
- ¼ cup milk or cream (I used half and half)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream (I used half and half)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the lemon zest and the sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Rub together with your fingers for a few minutes to release the lemon flavor from the zest. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the lemon juice, vanilla, eggs, oil, yogurt, milk, chia seeds, poppy seeds, and honey. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into greased muffin tins; you should be able to get 8 large muffins. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the tops spring back when touched.
- For the glaze, whisk the powdered sugar, honey, and milk together until smooth. Heat the butter over medium heat until melted; add the glaze mixture and stir until bubbling and warm, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and glaze muffins immediately by dipping muffins upside down into the glaze saucepan or spooning the glaze over the tops. Glaze should set quickly.